Consistently ranked high on Director’s and Critic’s lists alike – Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller Psycho celebrates its 50th year with a release on Blu-Ray.
Psycho will debut for the first time ever on Blu-ray Hi-Def on 2nd August (UK), 15th Sept (France), 19th October (USA), rolling out to all International territories throughout 2010. Additionally, Psycho will also be honoured during its golden anniversary by the esteemed 2010 Festival De Cannes. Chosen as a Cannes Classic Selection, the film will be recognized as a restored masterwork from the past.
The Psycho 50th Anniversary Edition is packed with extras, including behind-the-scenes bonus features, documentaries, audio interviews and an in-depth look at the re-mastering process required for high definition viewing. Sound reigns supreme on the Blu-ray Hi-Def disc and fans can now experience the terror of Bernard Herrmann’s controversial string-only orchestra during some of the film’s most pivotal scenes like never before.
When Hermann was writing the score for Psycho, the now famous shower scene had no music behind it; seemingly Hitchcock thought the scene would have more impact in its silence. Bernard Hermann wrote the music for the scene but did not submit it to the Director. Instead, while they were scoring the film, he simply had the musicians play music live behind the projection. The effect was so powerful that Alfred Hitchcock was instantly convinced and that legendary piece of music went on to make motion picture history.
Additional material includes:
• Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
• The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous “shower scene.”
• The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock’s most shocking film.
• In the Master’s Shadow – Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
• Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
• Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of “Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho”)
• Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
• The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
• Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
• The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
• Posters and Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
• Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
• Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
• Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
• Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.